The Film: The Money Pit
A young couple struggles to repair a hopelessly dilapidated house after they need to vacate the apartment they are subletting from Anna's ex-husband, Max Beissart, a self-absorbed conductor who has returned early from Europe.
Release date: March 26, 1986
Director: Richard Benjamin
Screenplay: David Giler
Budget: $10 Million
Box office: $37 million
Cast The Remake:
- The first collaboration of Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg the latter of whom acted as Executive Producer.
- For the scene with the bathtub falling two floors down after being filled with water, Tom Hanks does an obnoxious laugh. This clip of him laughing is commonly used for the Universal back-lot tour when the tour guides joke with the visitors.
- Apparently, real Hell's Angels bikers from a real Hell's Angels chapter portrayed the Hell's Angels bikers in the movie.
- The movie was the first remake of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948). The second was seven years later, with Sweden's Drömkåken (1993), while the third, which was the second Hollywood remake, was twenty-one years later, with Are We Done Yet?(2007).
- Alexander Godunov conducts the orchestra at the end, as they perform Ode to Joy by Ludwig van Beethoven. It was also played at the safe opening scene in Die Hard (1988), which also starred Godunov.
- Kathleen Turner was considered for the female lead. At the time, Turner was in a dispute with 20th Century Fox, as she did not want to do The Jewel of the Nile (1985), and tried to use the offer of playing in this movie as a negotiating ploy, although some thought at the time, that it was simply an attempt to get paid more money.
Where Can We Find You:
You can catch us every other Wednesday and we will be back on September 13th with our next film where we will be discussing Inner Space Starring Dennis Quaid, Martin Short and Meg Ryan.
Our email is Feedback@ConstantCollectible.com. Don’t forget to like, share and subscribe to all things Constant Collectible to keep up to date with all the news and reviews from a world of GEEK CULTURE.