The 2018 Eisner Award nominations recognized IDW Publishing and its imprints, Top Shelf, The Library of American Comics, EuroComics, and Yoe! Books, with a combined eight nods (seven nominations and one shared nomination) this year, with books being represented in multiple categories including Best Publication for Kids, Best Reality-Based Work, Best Archival Collection/Project—Strips, and more. The prestigious award ceremony, held annually at San Diego Comic-Con International, honors exemplary work from the past year in comics.
The 2018 Eisner Nominees include:
- Best Publication for Kids:
Home Time Book One: Under the River, by Campbell Whyte (Top Shelf/IDW)
- Best Reality-Based Work: Calamity Jane: The Calamitous Life of Martha Jane Cannary, 1852–1903, by Christian Perrissin and Matthieu Blanchin, translated by Diana Schutz and Branden Kandor (IDW)
- Best Reality-Based Work: Lennon: The New York Years, by David Foenkinos, Corbeyran, and Horne, translated by Ivanka Hahnenberger (IDW)
- Best U.S. Edition of International Material:Flight of the Raven, by Jean-Pierre Gilbert, translated by Diana Schutz and Branden Kander (EuroComics/IDW)
- Best Archival Collection/Project — Strips: Star Wars: The Classic Newspaper Strips, Vol. 1, by Russ Manning et al., edited by Dean Mullaney (LOAC/IDW)
- Best Archival Collection/Project — Comic Books: Behaving MADly, written and compiled by Ger Alpeldoorn and Craig Yoe, produced by Clizia Gussoni (Yoe Books/IDW)
- Best Painter / Multimedia Artist (Interior Art):Jean-Pierre Gilbert, Flight of the Raven(EuroComics/IDW)
- Best Lettering: John Workman, Mother Panic (DC Young Animal); Ragnarok (IDW)
“It’s really nice to see the comics community recognize the amazing level of craftsmanship and skill in Campbell Whyte’s Home Time. I’m overwhelmed by it every time I open it myself,”
says Chris Staros, Editor-in-Chief of Top Shelf Productions.
“What a pleasure it was to edit another book by Russ Manning… and on Star Wars, no less. This is a great bookend to our Complete Tarzan Newspaper Strips by Russ that won the Eisner a few years back,”
says Dean Mullaney, Editor of The Library of American Comics.
“Who knew that Behaving MADly might garner my co-author, Ger Apeldoorn, and myself the tremendous honor to receive an Eisner nomination,” says Yoe! Books Editor Craig Yoe. “Behaving MADly has been one of our most popular books. Now, we have our fingers, toes, eyes, and ears crossed that the voting fans, like the esteemed Eisner judges, behave madly, too!”
Justin Eisinger, Senior Editor for IDW, reflects on the reality-based works, Calamity Jane and Lennon, saying,
“These nominations are a testament to the real-life characters that inhabit these tales, as well as the creative forces that put their stories down on paper. Thanks to their efforts, we can all have a further understanding and appreciation of a hard-charging female American legend like the incomparable Calamity Jane, or crawl inside the mind of John Lennon to inhabit pop music’s most influential personality. Both tales work so perfectly in graphic novel form. I am thrilled that the teams behind these books have earned additional recognition for their contribution to our medium.”
“Diverse storytelling is at the heart of IDW, a founding principle expanded continuously through our many imprints,” says Greg Goldstein, President and Publisher of IDW Publishing. “We’re proud of all the writers, artists, and editors who invested so much of themselves into this year’s nominated projects, the talented people who pour pure passion into their work.”
Voting has begun on the 2018 nominees for the Will Eisner Awards and you can register to vote here.
What do you think about IDW and the eight nominations? Let us know in the comment section below. Also, don’t forget to Like, Share and Subscribe to all things Constant Collectible so YOU can keep up to date with all the news and reviews from a world of GEEK CULTURE.